Responsible Office – Department:
Effective Date of Policy:
February 2, 2021
All offers of employment regardless of status (full time, part time, temporary, per diem, etc.) are contingent upon successful completion of a background check. This policy has been implemented to review the candidate’s personal and professional conduct, to ascertain that the candidate is well suited to perform the duties for the position to which he or she has applied. Any applicant that refuses to submit to a background check will not be eligible for employment.
Background checks are conducted post-offer by a third party provider and comply with all federal, state and local laws including, but not limited to, the New York and Federal Fair Credit Reporting Acts.
Background checks will include:
- Social Security Verification: validates the applicant’s Social Security number, date of birth and former addresses.
- Criminal History: includes review of criminal convictions and probation. Criminal records will be checked with national criminal databanks, court records and applicable state Sex Offender Registries to confirm that the prospective employee does not have an undisclosed criminal history that may preclude employment. The following factors will be considered for applicants with a criminal history:
- The nature of the crime and its relationship to the position.
- The time that has passed since the conviction or completion of sentence.
- The number (if more than one) of convictions.
- Age of the applicant at the time of the past offense.
- Evidence of rehabilitation.
- Whether hiring, transferring or promoting the applicant would pose an unreasonable risk to the university, its employees or its students and vendors.
- Personal and Professional References: calls will be placed to individuals listed as references by the applicant. Reference calls are completed by the Hiring Department or Search Committee. Professional references will highlight the skills, knowledge and accomplishments a candidate possesses that will assist the search committee with identifying the best qualified applicant for the job.
The following additional background searches will be required if applicable to the position:
- Motor Vehicle Records: provides a report on an individual’s driving history in the state requested. This search will be run when driving is an essential requirement of the position. A suspended or revoked license, a DUI or DWI conviction or significant moving violations may disqualify an applicant for employment.
- Credit History: confirms candidate’s credit history. This search will be run for positions that involve management of University funds and/or handling of cash or credit.
- Educational Verification: confirms the applicant’s claimed educational institution, including the years attended and the degree/diploma received. All educational credentials beyond high school and any professional licenses will be confirmed as part of the background check if a requirement of the position. If the third party provider is unable to confirm education or credentials, the applicant will be given a reasonable opportunity to furnish any documentation that would satisfy the verification.
The applicant will receive information about the background check and a link to a signed release form post-employment offer. This will be administered by a designated employee in the Employee Engagement Office. The background check results are usually available within five to seven business days.
The Director of Employee Engagement will ensure compliance with Article 23-A of the NYS correction law and assess the potential risks and liabilities related to the job’s requirements and determine if whether the individual should be hired.
Background check information is sensitive and confidential. Results will securely be maintained in a confidential file for a minimum of five years. Disclosure of information in a background check is limited to those who have a business need to know.
If the applicant has provided material misleading or erroneous information on the employment application, resume or during a selection interview, the applicant may be eliminated from further consideration of employment.
Daemen University reserves the right to modify this policy at any time without notice.