Responsible Office – Department:
Effective Date of Policy:
January 1, 1999
If an employee has a complaint or problem other than one covered under the Grievance Policy and Procedure in Discrimination and Harassment Claims, the matter is handled in accordance with the following procedures.
- The employee shall bring the matter to the attention of his or her immediate supervisor. Both parties are expected to make a good faith attempt to resolve the matter at this level and in accordance with any relevant College policies and procedures. Subsequent levels of review will consider compliance with the spirit of this provision in rendering a decision. Communication may be orally or in writing at this stage, and shall be in writing if either party requests. If an employee feels unable to communicate his or her concerns to the immediate supervisor, he or she should contact the Employee Engagement Director in accordance with provision 2 below.
- The Employee Engagement Director is available to assist employees with work-related problems or complaints. If in the Employee Engagement Director’s judgment, the problem may constitute a violation of College policy or procedure, he or she will take appropriate steps to facilitate correction of the possible violation. The Employee Engagement Director may also refer the employee to the employee’s immediate supervisor, or the supervisor’s supervisor, if in the Employee Engagement Director’s judgment, it is appropriate to do so. The Employee Engagement Director may also participate in meetings of the affected parties, at the request of either party or at the Employee Engagement Director’s own discretion.
- If the complaint or problem remains unresolved at the level of the employee and immediate supervisor, the employee may bring the matter to the attention of the supervisor’s supervisor. At this stage, the employee shall communicate the problem in writing if requested to do so by the supervisor’s superior. The supervisor’s superior shall review the matter, consulting with relevant parties as appropriate, and render a written decision. The decision is final, subject to review by the Employee Engagement Director to ensure that the decision is in compliance with College policies and procedures. Should this review result in modification of the decision, the Employment Engagement Director shall ensure that the modification is approved by an officer of the College.
If discrimination in violation of College policy or the law is alleged or suspected, the EO/AA Officer (Chief Diversity Officer) shall be consulted. In matters involving possible discrimination, the Grievance Procedure in Discrimination Cases shall be followed.
In the event of disputes between members of different campus constituencies, procedures are as follows:
- A dispute initiated by a faculty member with an administrative or staff employee shall be processed according to the procedures that govern administrative and staff employees.
- A dispute initiated by an administrative or staff employee with a faculty member shall be processed according to the procedures that govern faculty.
- If it is unclear what procedure is appropriate for disputes involving Faculty, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, in consultation with the Faculty Senate President, shall determine the procedure to be followed.
- Disputes with students initiated by staff or administrative employees should follow procedures outlined in the Student Handbook.
- Disputes with staff or administrative employees initiated by students should follow the Dispute Resolution Procedure outlined in the Student Handbook.