Effective Date of Policy:
January 10, 2022
Daemen College strives to create an environment in which diverse opinions can be expressed and heard in a safe and respectful manner. As a private college, Daemen wants to ensure that all members of our campus community feel empowered to peacefully express their views and opinions, regardless of whether others may disagree with those expressions. This includes the right of protestors to oopose the views or opinions of others, but not in such a way as to limit or prevent the speakers freedom of expression or interfere with university operations.
There may be times that students will choose to dissent with College or public policy and openly demonstrate on campus. Demonstrations may be held on campus as long as they do not disrupt the normal and proper operation of the College. Specifically, disruptions will include activities which:
- Interfere with the rights of students, faculty, staff or guests of the College;
- Disrupt or obstruct educational and other activities of the College;
- Obstruct or restrict free movement of persons on any part of the campus;
- Interfere with the proper use of offices or other facilities to the students faculty, trustees, staff or guests of the College;
- Endanger the safety of any person at the College; and/or,
- Threaten or result in the destruction of property.
In order to use a campus facility for demonstration purposes, a student group must reserve space as outlined in the Student Activities section of this Handbook. The student group must also register its intent to demonstrate by submitting a letter to the Vice President for Strategic Initiatives (or designee) at least 48 hours prior to the demonstration. The College will insist all planned protests be peaceful and orderly, carried out in accordance with these guidelines and in areas other than faculty and administrative offices, classrooms, libraries and study rooms. Students who violate these guidelines will be subject to disciplinary action.
Regardless of whether a student dissent or demonstration is aimed at the College or an outside entity, Daemen values free speech, expression and an exchange of ideas and therefore, want to work directly with students as they plan a dissent or demonstration. Students should know, the College will:
- Support planned dissent and/or demonstration as long as it meets the guidelines outlined above and in the Student Handbook and/or does not pose a safety risk to individuals involved or community members.
- Assist with the planning, including providing reserved spaces, resources, support, audio-visual equipment, notifications, and any other reasonable request in line with reservation policies.
- Ensure that other community members with opposing viewpoints do not interfere with a peaceful dissent or demonstration and allow those community members equal opportunity to express those views in a similar forum.
- Protect college and individual property, and the health and well-being of participants.
- Students will NOT be subject to student conduct action for taking part in a peaceful protest, dissent, or demonstration as outlined above.
Purpose for Policy
To create and maintain an equitable environment where students have the optimal opportunity to succeed academically, personally, and professionally and where any and all Daemen College Community members feel safe, valued, and respected.
This policy’s virtual location is https://www.daemen.edu/student-life/student-affairs/student-handbook/section-5-general-college-policies