Effective Date of Policy:
August 18, 2022
The following are prohibited for use and/or possession in the residence halls. This is not a comprehensive list. Any other item that is deemed unsafe or inappropriate for residential living may be considered prohibited, at the discretion of the Director of Housing and Residence Life.
- Air conditioners (not issued and installed by the University)
- Alcohol/drug paraphernalia
- Bed Risers
- Candles (including those for decoration)
- Coffee/Keurig machines without an on/off switch
- Curtains/tapestries that are not flame retardant
- Extension cords
- Flammable decorations
- Grills (including George Foreman and similar appliances)
- Halogen lamps
- LED Strip Lights (adhesives)
- Live Christmas trees or artificial trees over three feet in height
- Microwaves and/or toaster ovens
- Mounting Squares
- Open flames of any kind
- Pets (other than fish in a five-gallon tank or smaller)
- Refrigerators (large). Students may have up to 2.4 cu ft of refrigerator, per person, per apartment/room. Please note, each room in Canavan Hall is equipped with a microfridge.
- Space heaters
- Tapestry that covers more than 50% of the wall and is not flame retardant
- Tattoo equipment
- Weapons (as defined in this Handbook below)
- Wifi-enhancement devices
Purpose of Policy
To create and maintain an equitable environment where students have the optimal opportunity to succeed academically, personally, and professionally and where any and all Daemen University Community members feel safe, valued, and respected.
This policy’s virtual location is in the Residential Living Policies section (Section 4) of the Student Handbook – https://www.daemen.edu/student-life/student-affairs/student-handbook/section-4-residential-living-policies.